Duration: 1 year full-time internship programme, with potential for full-time role based on meeting performance expectations
Start date: ASAP
£20-25k per annum
Established in 2008, Jumpstart specialises in Research and Development (R&D) tax credits claims. Right now, they’re identifying £310,000 in eligible activity every single week for clients, as well as advising on the money to be made from Patent Box, grants and Video Games Tax Relief. Jumpstart were R&D Tax Advisory Firm of the Year (2014) and the winners of the Scottish Business Customer Focus Award (2014).
The Jumpstart Internship programme is ideal for top-performing graduates considering a consulting career after graduation. For more info see here.
The successful candidates will be a graduate from an Engineering background (this can be of any engineering discipline). You will learn how to combine your knowledge and experience learned during your undergraduate degree with an unrivalled understanding of the R&D tax legislation. You will become part of a team that provides expert advice and guidance on R&D tax credits, grants and other funding.
The main purpose of this internship role is to support the work of the Technical Analysts. The programme begins with a month of intensive induction and training delivered by experienced consultants. After training, you will be immediately assigned to active cases. In this role, you will be exposed to a variety of business issues and quickly learn the fundamentals of Jumpstart’s core processes. Duties and responsibilities include:
• Researching the background of each client;
• Applying your scientific expertise to evaluate the potential eligible activities that the client may have or is undertaking;
• Reviewing document information obtained and produce draft Technical Reports;
• Sharing the draft with the Technical Analyst and/or the client and through discussion, to ensure the draft captures the essential information and accurately reflects the work undertaken by the client;
• Producing a final Technical Report that concisely and articulately summarises the case for receiving R&D Tax Credits;
• Ensuring that costs are accurately captured in consultation with the client to finalise the claim documentation; and
• Undertaking any reasonable duties in order to progress the needs of the company.
The programme will provide broad exposure to the R&D tax credit consulting industry, in-depth training in the critical skills of effective report-writing, and continuous hands-on learning through full-time immersion through our Jumpstart Academy.
Interns will gain a thorough understanding of clients, operations, industry, and the business challenges. Each intern will be mentored by a Technical Analyst who will provide daily supervision, guidance, and coaching throughout the internship. They will also provide formal feedback at the three- and six-month points and at the conclusion of the programme.
Interns who have met performance expectations will receive an offer to return full-time to Jumpstart as an Associate Technical Analyst.
• To complete 100% of the relevant parts only of the Jumpstart Academy by the end of the Induction;
• To maintain 100% completion of the Jumpstart Academy thereafter;
• To become familiar with the Jumpstart products, the value proposition and our key markets;
• To become highly proficient in our style of report writing;
• To manage effectively the workload assigned and meet all deadlines;
• To actively demonstrate the company values in all dealings with colleagues and external audiences; and
• To report on progress to the Business Focus Meeting when required.
The successful intern will be educated to undergraduate degree level in the field of Engineering, having achieved a First or 2.1 classification. This can be from any type of Engineering discipline.
You will have excellent written and verbal communication skills, as the reports you will be writing are largely persuasive; they have to tell HMRC why the projects they have witnessed meet the standards in the R&D legislation.
You will be able to evidence your high level of Emotional Intelligence, and be able to demonstrate that you are good with people and clients. You will be genuinely focussed on a career in consultancy and customer service.
Closing date for applications is 9 August 2015, 5pm
Please submit a CV and brief covering letter through the Adopt an Intern online application form on our website. All applications must be submitted by 5pm on the closing date. State a. your availability and b. relevant information on your skills/experience pertaining to the job spec. We do NOT accept e-mail applications unless otherwise stated.