£8.45 per hour
Full time, 35 hours per week, for 5 months
Closing date: 31 May 2017, noon
About the Company
Changeworks is one of Scotland’s largest environmental charities – a thriving social enterprise with 30 years’ experience of reducing carbon emissions, fuel poverty and waste.
We work with organisations, communities and individuals to deliver practical solutions to live and work more sustainably, based on our expertise and the latest in good practice.
Passion, integrity, innovation, collaboration and empowerment are the values which drive us.
Above all, we are proud of the expertise and enthusiasm of our people. We have over 200 employees and volunteers across Scotland – in Edinburgh, Inverness, Oban, Fort William, Shetland, Orkney, the Western Isles and Argyll.
We deliver services and projects in the areas of energy efficiency, fuel poverty, programme management, waste prevention, recycling, renewables and carbon reduction.
Our high quality consultancy services include social research and evaluation, energy surveying, modelling, data analysis and behaviour change.
We share expertise, influence policy and work with partners, funders and clients on a local, regional, national and European scale.
In 2017 we’re celebrating 30 years of Changeworks.
Changeworks is looking for a passionate intern to work on the development, organisation and delivery of three key events taking place in Edinburgh this year – a Scottish Parliamentary reception, a Changeworks employee event and an ‘open doors’ experience for members of the public. The role offers the experience of delivering high profile events which bring a range of stakeholders together for a successful and positive experience. It will be challenging and rewarding on various levels.
The main tasks/areas of responsibility will include, but won’t be limited to:
• Liaising and negotiating with external suppliers in the provision of equipment and supplies related to events, including audio visual (AV)
• Assisting the Marketing and Communications team with the creation of communication and events material
• Drafting briefings for high profile speakers and support staff
• Assisting with the drafting and following up invitations to speakers and other participants
• Supporting budget planning and management of events finances, liaising closely with Marketing and Communications Manager
• Managing and processing events registrations to maximise attendance, including enquiries
• Drafting internal communications to recruit employee volunteers to support events
• Supporting recruitment and briefing of a team of volunteers
• Working with event working group to understand events and venues requirements
• Networking in order to raise awareness and maximise attendance
• Planning and maintaining clear and regular communication with event volunteers and speakers to ensure they understand what is expected of them and to resolve any pre-conference queries
• Booking accommodation and travel arrangements as/where required
• Carrying out any associated admin tasks as required.
Promotion and publicity
• Promoting events to new and existing public and business networks
• Promoting events to Changeworks’ employees
• Working in partnership with the Marketing and Communications team to ensure events generate interest through press and media, social media, online newsletters and community websites.
Managing events delivery
• Supporting management of events on site, including briefing and managing colleagues, volunteers and external suppliers, supporting, advising and directing event participants
• Providing input into event programme development and direction through working group and team meetings
• Production of detailed event running orders for all events
• Identifying risks and suggesting ways in which these might be mitigated
• Providing Marketing and Communications Manager with updates on the event preparations, as well as responding effectively to information requests
• Supporting organisation of event items, literature and display materials for events
• Welcoming people to events, providing refreshments and assisting with pre-event requirements on the day
• Ad hoc administrative tasks to support the team as needed.
Post event management
• Drafting and circulating follow up communications
• Preparing post event evaluation.
We provide a full induction with ongoing support and supervision throughout your internship.
The ideal candidate will have a background in events and project management. Experience in communications, social media and/or marketing will also be beneficial. You must be well organised, with excellent verbal and written communication skills and a good telephone manner. You will have a positive can-do attitude, with strong interpersonal, relationship building and presentation skills.
You should be comfortable in working under pressure and work well with a small team in a dynamic working environment to achieve outcomes.
You will be familiar with digital technology, with a good working knowledge and practical application of Microsoft Office tools.
Ideally you will have an interest in environmental issues. The role would appeal to a recent graduate who is in Scotland and eager to maximise opportunities to develop their existing skills and to gain new ones.
Your role as an intern will help make a great contribution to the work of Changeworks. You will be responsible for achieving specific work objectives, agreed with you, in a set length of time. As you are recruited to support or complete particular objectives, you will have real responsibility and a place in the Marketing and Communications team. Bringing some of your skills and experience to the role, you will also have the chance to develop workplace skills.
Closing date for applications is 31 May 2017.
Please submit a CV and brief covering letter through the Adopt an Intern online application form on our website. All applications must be submitted by XX on the closing date. State 1. your availability and 2. relevant information on your skills/experience relating to the role specification. We do NOT accept e-mail applications unless otherwise stated.
Please confirm your eligibility to work in the UK.APPLY