The best selling Scottish writer Sara Sheridan wishes to recruit a graduate intern to provide technical assistance, administrative and online support and development. Sara is a Scottish novelist who works in a variety of genres, though predominately in historical fiction.
£7.85 per hour. Flexible 20 hrs a week over 12 weeks
Within this your main areas of responsibility will be:
• To develop a new website for sarasheridan.com including an opt-in database for a quarterly newsletter. To put all systems in place to facilitate on-going updates of both website and database.
• To regularise Sara’s online address/contacts list and meld it with the database as outlined above, so that personalised newsletters can be sent to journalists, librarians, readers and events organisers
• To write a report and recommend positive changes for Sara’s social media presence. You will analyse the @mirabellebevan twitter account, Sara’s Facebook account, @sarasheridan twitter account and sundry other social media accounts including Goodreads and Linkedin with a target of increasing the number of genuine followers for specific accounts and developing audiences.
• To research and write a report and recommend positive changes to Sara’s kindle e-published books and short stories, including online promotions, with the aim of increasing sales/income from this source.
• Research digital diary/schedule options.
This post is based in Sara’s home – so the successful intern will need to be able to fit into the routine of the house. A short daily meeting with Sara will be required but you’ll spend a good deal of time working under your own steam.
Please note, you will be required to sign a privacy agreement and are enjoined not to disclose information, financial, personal or professional that you come across during the course of your work for Sara.
(This role is on a self-employed basis. Please note that you will be invoicing Adopt an Intern as a freelance/consultant. This is a very simple, uncomplicated process. You will also be advised to register as self-employed with HMRC if you are not already registered. Please note, students in Scotland on a Tier 4 Visa are not permitted to be self-employed and therefore will not be considered for this role.)
The ideal candidate will be friendly and well organised with a passion for fiction and writing. You should have strong tech and IT skills and be interested in website design and systems. You will be experienced in managing and updating Social Media and professional websites.
Strong research skills are required as the postholder will need research skills to analyse what works and what doesn’t – with a view to giving recommendations designed to generate readers and develop Sara’s brand.
Closing date for applications is 7 April 2015, 5pm
Please submit a CV and brief covering letter through the Adopt an Intern online application form on our website. All applications must be submitted by 5pm on the closing date. State a. your availability and b. relevant information on your skills/experience pertaining to the job spec. We do NOT accept e-mail applications unless otherwise stated.
This Adopt an Intern funded internship has been made possible through the financial support of the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) with match funding from the Scottish Government. It is part of a "Business Growth Programme" supporting the third sector, micro businesses and SMEs and contributes to our wider focus of boosting economic stability by investing in graduates. These are paid, meaningful, capacity-building internships, with monitored outcomes.