Location: Manchester with some possible travel to local CU centres around the UK
£19,000 per annum
Full-time for 12 months, subject to successful completion of two-month probationary period
About the Company
The Children’s University is an International critically-acclaimed charity which encourages all children aged 5 to 14 years to try new experiences, develop new interests and acquire new skills through participation in innovative and creative Learning Activities outside of the school day. Learning Activities are designed to:
1. Raise aspiration, self-esteem & confidence
2. Encourage curiosity and a love of learning
3. Enhance motivation and build resilience
4. Introduce new life experiences
5. Offer progression in learning and personal skills development
With a network of 90 National CU centres and a growing International network in South Australia, Singapore and Malaysia, together with plans to extend our work to China , we are working within local communities to encourage all children, but particularly those who need it most, to participate, voluntarily, in a variety of Learning Activities, delivered by our Learning Destination partners.
Described by the Sunday Times as 'The University of Fun', we celebrate achievement and reward participation through our certificates. Raising children's aspirations is important to us and we aim to develop the understanding that learning can be "...a satellite navigation system to better places in life...".
The job role can be flexible and adapted to play to the strengths and capabilities of the successful candidate. Your main tasks will be a balance of marketing, digital communications, administrative, office-based tasks, as well as the development of specific over-arching projects. As a Marketing and Digital Communications Officer, your key responsibilities will include:
• Responding to day-to-day enquiries from parents, schools, learning destinations, local CU centres about CU by telephone or via our ‘contact us’ email address
• Maintaining a database of CU contacts
• Developing and maintaining CU Trust’s social media and web presence
• Providing marketing support to local CU centres in the early stages of their development
• Administration of the E-passport system and acting as a helpdesk service to CU’s using the e-passport, including liaison with software developers
• Providing marketing support to Learning Destinations
• Managing the data base of Learning Destinations within the E-Passport, including liaison with the software developers and potential new Learning Destinations
• Researching and identifying public Learning Destinations for potential validation to enable CU to offer a wide variety of interactive and engaging learning opportunities
• Developing and implement (either stand-alone or in partnership with key stakeholders) special projects – competitions, online resources and working with specific target groups
• Assisting in brand management through the design, development and production of consistently branded CU Trust publications and merchandise, managing relationships with suppliers for cost efficiency
• Promoting CU Trust merchandise across the local CU network
• Helping to raise the profile of CU Trust by actively encouraging and seeking out positive news stories, features and media opportunities from the local CU network that can be shared and promoted at national level through generating positive PR, case studies, media features
• Undertaking general administrative duties as required.
The successful candidate will be highly organised, able to work independently and manage a varied workload. The applicant needs to be an excellent communicator with good interpersonal skills. Strong IT capability is essential and more specifically, knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, including Excel, Outlook and database management. A background/expertise in marketing, digital marketing (including social media), business administration or education would be advantageous. Candidates will be expected to share the principle and the ethos of the Charity and to have an interest in working in the third sector.
This is a unique and challenging opportunity to contribute to the development of a national charity at an exciting stage in its development.
Closing date for applications is 8 March 2016, 12 noon.
Please submit a CV and brief covering letter through the Adopt an Intern online application form on our website. All applications must be submitted by noon on the closing date. State a. your availability and b. relevant information on your skills/experience pertaining to the job spec. We do NOT accept e-mail applications unless otherwise stated.
Please confirm your eligibility to work in the UK.