Museums Galleries Scotland Heritage Horizons Trainee Requirements - November 2014
Below you will find an outline of the skills and capabilities expected of a Museums Galleries Scotland (MGS) Heritage Horizons trainee. Please address the points you deem relevant to your chosen traineeship/s when writing your general cover letter.
• Three Highers including English or equivalent, and/or appropriate relevant experience. This programme is for non-graduates committed to a career in the Scottish museums sector.
• A desire to work in the sector and some demonstrated interest in the sector.
• Some practical skills, transferable to your chosen traineeship. (This experience could be gained through voluntary work or through work experience. It does not have to be in the museum sector.)
• Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills plus experience of (or an understanding of the importance of) good customer service skills.
• Core IT skills (ability to use Microsoft Office and email) are required for all aspects of the traineeships.
• Comfortable managing own activities.
• Well organised and able to multitask, especially able to combine work and study towards a qualification.
• Excellent time-management skills and the ability to work to deadlines.
• Self-motivated, flexible and with a positive, proactive approach to work.
• A team player who is comfortable making decisions.
• Accuracy and attention to detail.
• A positive, curious and enthusiastic attitude with a commitment to a career in a museum or heritage organisation.
To download the Trainee Requirements as a pdf click here.