Sir Robert McAlpine is a leading UK building and civil engineering company. Committed to the highest standards of quality, safety and sustainability, they deliver outstanding projects which meet and exceed clients’ expectations.
Location: Newcastle or North East England
In the region of £24,000 plus car allowance
Full-time. Permanent role
A family-owned company with a wealth of experience accumulated over more than 140 years, Sir Robert McAlpine recognise the importance of understanding clients’ core values and aspirations as being key to their success.
Recent high-profile projects in the Region include the redevelopment of the Metro Centre and Eldon Square, construction of Science Central and various educational facilities through North East Schools Framework. They work with clients across all the major market sectors including nuclear, healthcare, education, retail, commercial and infrastructure.
As a key support function for projects across the North East of England and Scotland, you will be directly responsible to the Project Manager and the Regional Environmental Manager for the compliance and performance of environmental issues on various projects. This will include, but not be limited to:
• Responsibility for environmental planning and reporting
• Approval of non-conformance reports requiring environmental action, analysing and reporting on cause of non-compliance and any associated corrective actions
• Attending regular meetings with team members to include the review of environmental matters
• Conducting regular site inspections and internal audits to measure site environmental performance
• Liaison with staff and members of Project teams
• Review and updating of environmental management system procedures
• Prepare and carry out reviews of the Project Environmental Management Plan
• Preparation of Site Waste Management Plans
• Record and maintain all environmental matters in accordance with reporting procedures
• Promoting environmental awareness throughout the project
• Preparation of an Environmental Emergency Preparedness Plan and ensure its communication to site staff and operatives
• Assessing level of competence and any training necessary to ensure the capability of subcontractors and suppliers who may carry out environmental management functions
• Ensure all Project teams work in accordance with the Environmental Plan
• Liaison with government departments, local authorities, and other statutory authorities on environmental matters as required
• Ensure that detrimental impacts on site biodiversity are minimised and relevant ecological issues are communicated effectively to the workforce, including opportunities for the enhancement of biodiversity and ecological protection
• Carbon foot-printing for each project to report towards Corporate CO2 emissions targets
The ideal candidate will be qualified in an environmental discipline, with a desire to work as part of an integrated sustainability team across the North East of England and Scotland if required.
As the role involves supporting numerous projects, a full UK driving license is an essential requirement for this role.
As a graduate entrant, you will enjoy the benefits of a 5-year structured development programme enhancing your skills and industry knowledge while part of the team.
This is a permanent position open to all graduates and postgraduates across the UK.
Closing date for applications is Monday 9 March 2014, 5pm
Interviews will take place in Newcastle on Thursday 12 March 2015
Please submit a CV and brief covering letter through the Adopt an Intern online application form on our website. State a. your availability and b. How you meet the requirements of the job specification. We do NOT accept e-mail applications unless otherwise stated.