Part-time, for 3 months
8 August start
Closing date: 15 July 2016
Magfest is the Edinburgh international magazine festival, delivered by PPA Scotland, and celebrating the passion and creativity of magazine publishing. Held on 16 September at Central Hall in Edinburgh, with more than 350 magazine publishers expected to attend, Magfest is set to be the biggest and best magazine event in Scotland.
Magfest brings together some of the most inspiring minds in media and magazine publishing, with talks, breakouts and workshops designed to show their passion. In addition, the day includes a pop-up shop, courtesy of the brilliance of MagCulture; our Magfest 'Shop Window' – a showcase of 12 freelancers' work in a market-place style; and our pre-party, the Magfest Question Time event the night before, offering another magaziney reason to come to Edinburgh.
About the Scottish Magazine Awards
The Scottish Magazine Awards are a celebration of the fantastic magazines published in Scotland, in recognition of the talent, skill and hard work carried out across the industry.
Held at the Radisson Blu Hotel in Glasgow on 1 December, the Scottish Magazine Awards is a black tie awards ceremony and, with entertainment from a comedian, live music and a three course gala dinner, is the perfect end to the publishing year.
PPA Scotland is looking for an enthusiastic and hard-working graduate to join them as a part-time Publishing, Events and Marketing Executive to work for three months on Magfest and the Scottish Magazine Awards.
This is a highly varied role that will include:
• Researching and targeting magazine publishing and design houses across the UK
• Social media marketing
• General events production duties, from taking care of speakers to stuffing delegate bags, from proof reading programmes to rearranging furniture, from facilitating networking to organising sponsors
• Administration of the Scottish Magazine Awards judging process
What we can offer in return
As well as a wage of £8.25/hr, we can offer:
• Unrivalled access to magazines (we estimate Scotland publishes around 700 titles)
• Unrivalled access to the magazine publishing industry and its potential employers
• Attendance at Scotland’s biggest and best magazine festival, Magfest, including dinner afterwards with the speakers
• A free ticket to the Scottish Magazine Awards
• A free place at any training we hold for publishers between the beginning and end of your employment
*Please note that there will be a mixture of working from home and from the PPA Scotland office at Edinburgh Napier University’s Merchiston campus. You’ll therefore need your own laptop.
We’re looking for an all-round amazing human being. We’d like you to have:
• A degree in either publishing, events or marketing, or a similar associated discipline
• Experience in either sales, marketing or events management
• An interest in magazine publishing and/or the creative industries
• Attention to detail
• Bags of enthusiasm, a can-do attitude and a proactive nature
• You must be available to attend Magfest on 16 September and be free all w/c 12 September
Closing date for applications is 15 July 2016, 12 noon.
The interviews will take place w/c 25 July.
Please submit a CV and brief covering letter through the Adopt an Intern online application form on our website. All applications must be submitted by noon on the closing date. State a. your availability and b. relevant information on your skills/experience pertaining to the job spec. We do NOT accept e-mail applications unless otherwise stated.
PPA Scotland is an equal opportunities employer and encourages and welcomes diversity in the workplace.
Please confirm your eligibility to work in the UK.