The Robertson Trust was established in 1961 to provide financial support a wide range of charitable objects and activities, which take place in, or have a direct impact on Scotland. In 2012/3 the Trust committed over £15M to charities throughout Scotland.
Location: Glasgow, some travel across Scotland may be required
£7.65 per hour. Full-time for 6 months with possible extension.
The Robertson Trust currently has an opportunity for a Research and Evidence Assistant to join its team for 6 months. The successful candidate will help support the development of an ‘Evidence Hub’ at Robertson House which will provide independent funders and Third Sector practitioners with the skills, resources and support they need to share and use evidence. The post will concentrate on researching the need and appetite for this type of support amongst independent funders and Third Sector practitioners in Scotland and identifying and engaging with the key stakeholders who are interested in promoting this work.
This exciting opportunity is open to recent graduates and is particularly suited to someone who is looking to begin a career in evidence exchange, research or policy. Having an awareness and/ or interest in how evidence is used and shared would be an advantage.
The successful candidate will be supported and line managed by The Robertson Trust’s Policy and Information Officer.
As a Research and Evidence Assistant Intern your main tasks will include:
- Research the range of resources that currently exist to support organisations to use and share evidence.
- Analyse the extent to which these resources are currently being used by independent funders and Third Sector practitioners and identify their strengths and weaknesses.
- Gather information and intelligence on the different organisations/ networks currently operating in Scotland that provide support in using and sharing evidence and develop relationships with appropriate organisations/ networks.
- Identify organisations that would benefit from support in using and sharing evidence and work with them to understand the type of support/ services they would find useful in this area.
- Produce a report for The Robertson Trust outlining the need and appetite for an ‘Evidence Hub’ amongst independent funders and Third Sector practitioners and make recommendations for areas that the Evidence Hub should focus on in the first instance.
- Keep relevant stakeholders updated about the development of the ‘Evidence Hub’ as it progresses and promote its use amongst relevant stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will be educated to a degree level with a background/experience in social sciences, research or politics. Previous experience working in or a strong understanding of/interest in the Third Sector or Public Sector would be an advantage.
You will possess good online research skills, alongside strong reflective and analytical skills, with the ability to find, absorb and summarise complex information and issues. You will have good written and oral communication skills and be IT literate with the ability to use Microsoft Office. You should be able to demonstrate the ability to produce high quality written reports that convey complex information in a clear and concise manner and is accessible to a range of audiences.
This role requires a positive individual with good networking skills and ability to form positive partnerships and work in collaboration with others. You will also have sound organisational, planning and time management skills, including ability to work both independently and as part of a team, prioritise and manage your own work load to meet agreed deadlines. Problem solving skills with the ability to anticipate problems and proactively suggest resolutions are required.
Closing date for applications is 12 September 2014, 5pm.
Please submit a CV and brief covering letter through the Adopt an Intern online application form on our website. All applications must be submitted by 5pm on the closing date. State a. your availability and b. relevant information on your skills/experience pertaining to the job spec. We do NOT accept e-mail applications unless otherwise stated.APPLY