Location: Port Glasgow / Remote
£18,720 per annum + no-cap commission
Start date: November 2019
Closing date: 28 October 2019, 12 noon
About the Company
“A rare opportunity has arisen for a hungry, ambitious candidate who wants to join the drinks industry in a hybrid role covering both sales and hosting corporate experiences. That’s right, a career where your job is to actually visit bars / and retailers daily, representing our range of Scottish craft drinks.
The Start-Up Drinks Lab is an exciting, mould-breaking drinks business that opened its doors in Spring 2018. Based in the new Kelburn Business Park in Port Glasgow, we help take our clients’ craft drink ideas all the way from concept through to shelf. We provide recipe development, branding and small-batch manufacturing for craft sodas, mixers, premium RTD’s, beers and ciders for brands around the world.
Our vision is to be the most accessible, full service and trusted manufacturing partner for small- medium sized craft drink producers. The Lab is a platform for innovation and we want you to be part of the team.
We are becoming the ideas factory, supporting all creativity, innovation and experimentation within craft drinks.
We want you to help us ensure every great craft drink idea can be created.
The Brands You’ll Be Selling
You will be the face in the trade of some of Scotland’s most exciting craft drinks including mixers and adult soft drinks. These include:
• Sparklingly Sober – a non-alcoholic rose wine alternative. Blended in small batches with Scottish water, Rhubarb, Elderflower and a hint of Ginger Spice. 90% of your focus initially.
• Just The Tonic – a crisp, clean no-nonsense Scottish tonic water that complements any gin. Developed with the bar team from Dandelyan. 10% of the focus.
• Additional drink brands will be created by the team (including you) and added to your portfolio.
Your role will be split between brand sales around Scotland (70% focus) and selling/hosting on-site Craft Soda School experiences to the public and corporate groups (30% focus).
Sparklingly Sober has captured the imagination of people who want a premium beverage, but without the alcohol – the range is based on alcohol-free Champagne cocktails. Brand sales will see you build relationships with on and off-trade decision-makers across Scotland, ensuring not only that you gain listings in their bars or shops, but that you do after-sales support to ensure repeat orders (e.g. staff training, Point of Sale, menu placement, special consumer events etc.).
This is an opportunity to be responsible for the success of a dynamic new brand that has already been received with enthusiasm across Scotland. Once you crack Scotland, your role could expand to the rest of the UK, Ireland and even, one day, internationally.
In the Craft Soda School the company runs two different classes for the public – the company’s version of a Cook School! There are afternoon and evening 2-hour classes called “Create Your Own Tonic Water” and also “1 Day VIP Soda Experience” where clients will create a soft drink brand from scratch.
In this element of the role, you will take responsibility to promote and facilitate classes to different types of groups e.g. client entertainment, corporate team building or groups of friends looking for an unusual night out.
You will be given full training on both parts of the role and gain experience in all aspects of the business; so, it is an ideal role for an ambitious, hungry drinks enthusiast.
A typical day could include:
• Targeting an area initially within the Scottish Central Belt, with particular focus on Glasgow and Edinburgh, but occasional travel to other major cities in the UK will occur
• Working closely with independent delis, spirit retailers, hotels, restaurants and bars
• Selling the fantastic range of craft drinks into bars around Scotland
• Directing your customers to order stock easily with major wholesalers
• Be an ambassador by training bartenders on the brands and how to serve them
• Presenting brands at consumer and trade shows
• Keeping up to speed with who’s who in the UK bar and specialist drink retail scene
• Support the hosting of leisure clients in the “Craft Soda School” – a one day experience where teams create a new craft drink brand in one day
• Hosting evening classes with 10 members of the public who pay to do a “Create Your Own Tonic Water” masterclass, run often from 7pm-9pm at the company site a few times a month
• Working with the design team to develop stand out and effective point-of-sale
• ….and even coming up with concepts for new drinks!
What The Start-up Drinks Lab can offer you?
• A role with an ambitious, mould-breaking company
• Competitive performance related commission – no cap on commission so the more orders you take for Sparklingly Sober and the Soda School classes, the more you will earn!
• Company branded vehicle with petrol allowance for all business travel
• Equity in The Start-Up Drinks Lab – you will own a portion of the business and the brands
• Full training
• Working pension
• 22 days holiday allowance per year plus the following bank holidays; Easter (Good Friday and Easter Monday) and Christmas and New Year (24th Dec – 2nd January inclusive)
This is a truly unique opportunity to join The Start-Up Drinks Lab at an exciting stage of growth. You will be a key member of the team going forward and will be able to grow in the role and develop yourself personally and professionally.
The Start-Up Drinks Lab is looking for a passionate all-rounder who loves to meet people and can quickly build relationships. They are not concerned about experience, but rather, a candidate with a ‘can-do’ attitude with the drive, determination and creativity to support the team.
The ideal candidate will be an outgoing and organised individual, capable of managing their own time and workload in a busy but supportive team.
There will be a sales/client relationship development element to this role, so candidates who are presentable, personable and confident on the phone and in person, with excellent written and oral English, would be preferable.
Required experience and competencies:
• A likeable person with the ability to build relationships easily
• A genuine interest in developing client relationships in the drinks industry and driving sales.
• Good understanding of the bar scene / contacts known within the trade – therefore would suit someone with bartending experience
• Can-do attitude
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
• Confident (not arrogant) presenter
• Ability to manage own workload
• Excellent time management and organization skills
• Driving licence
Desirable but not essential:
• An understanding of how drinks are made
• Selling experience is particularly attractive
As there will be frequent travel across the Scottish Central Belt, it is essential that you have a valid driving licence and are happy to drive to these locations. This role may also include some evening and weekend work.
You may apply for this role regardless of your academic background, so long as you can demonstrate in your covering letter that you are a passionate self-starter, ready to embrace opportunity and make an impact in this dynamic young company.
If you have any questions about this role or the organisation please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not under any circumstances contact the employer directly as doing so may negatively impact your employment opportunity.
Closing date for applications is 28 October, 12 noon.
Please submit a CV and tailored Cover Letter through the Adopt An Intern online application form on our website.
Examples of what we expect in an application can be found HERE. All applications must be submitted by 12 noon on the closing date. State A) your availability and B) relevant experience and demonstrate how your skills match the specific requirements of the job description.
We do NOT accept email applications unless otherwise stated.
Successful candidates must, by the start of the employment, have permission to work in the UK.