Location: East Renfrewshire
£8.45 per hour
Full-time (35 hours) for 9 months
Start Date: 11 March 2019
Closing Date: 15 February 2019, 12 noon
Interview Dates: 25 & 26 February 2019
About the Company
East Renfrewshire Council was formed in 1996 from Barrhead and Renfrew districts, and sits adjacent to the southern border of Glasgow City Council. Its population of 92,380 are split across 5 wards and 11 community council areas. Rural settlements include Eaglesham, Neilston and Newton Mearns while urban areas in the eastern area of the authority include Giffnock, Thornliebank and Stamperland among others. In 2014, 35.2% of the population were aged under 29, making young people a significant age group within the council.
Learn more about East Renfrewshire Council on their website here.
East Renfrewshire Council has internship opportunities within the organisation which are aimed at supporting and driving the Council Information as an Asset Strategy. Within these roles, the successful applicants will work within the Strategic Insight & Communities department and work closely with colleagues in ICT and Community Safety. While you will be based at the East Renfrewshire Council Headquarters, you will also work with ICT at their Barrhead office and Community Safety at their Thornliebank Depot.
As a Data & Business Intelligence intern, you will gain meaningful experience through three varied and exciting projects:
Data Stewardship. Analysis and Visualisation (Community Safety)
• Scoping & analysing the data held by the council’s Community Safety Team
• Identifying options for automating and minimising data keying/rekeying during capture
• Analysing existing data-sets to general trend analysis and business insights
• Using the analysis to support the Community Safety Manager to identify additional potential high-value KPIs and business metrics
• Ensuring all analysis is fully documented and repeatable by qualified staff
Data Visualisation and Dashboards (Young Persons Services & Revenues)
• Working with colleagues in ICT and service leads explore how Business Objects, Lumira Designer and the Council’s intranet platform can transfer existing Business Objects desktop widgets used by these services into intranet based dashboards
• In addition to creating the dashboards, the project would require the protocols and process for creating dashboards from DataMarts and Business Object universes and pushed to the intranet to the correct user to be fully documented in detail
Linking the Council’s Information Asset Register to Enterprise Architecture
The Council is implementing a new Information Asset Register and developing an Enterprise Architecture model for its Information as an Asset strategy (which is being updated)
• Working with the project lead and Enterprise Architect map the information as an asset strategy into the Council’s TOGAF based Enterprise Architecture model in SparxEA
• Undertake development work on the new Information Asset Register (SQL database with asp.net framework to create the relevant forms and fields to allow the information asset register to map applications and datasets to the enterprise architecture model
East Renfrewshire Council is looking for individuals having a strong analytical background with at least an HND qualification or equivalent experience in a relevant subject. The ideal candidates will also hold the following skills:
• HND or equivalent experience in a relevant subject
• Strong problem-solving abilities and good team player
• Some experience in a range of analysis tools including process/data modelling, use cases, case tools, data flow diagrams etc. (Experience of SAP Business Objects & Lumira/Microsoft Power BI is an advantage)
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Excellent written and verbal skills
• Understanding of Stakeholder management
• Basic Presentation skills
• Understanding working within waterfall or agile project/development methodologies
• Understanding of working under tight deadlines and under pressure
• Ability to deal with people from various backgrounds and seniority
If you have any questions about this role or the organisation please contact email@example.com. Please do not under any circumstances contact the employer directly as doing so may negatively impact your employment opportunity.
Closing date for applications is 15 February 2019, 12 noon.
Interviews will be held on 25 and 26 of February 2019.
Please submit a CV and covering letter through the Adopt An Intern online application form on our website. All applications must be submitted by 12 noon on the closing date. State A) your availability and B) relevant information on your skills/experience pertaining to the job specifications. We do NOT accept email applications unless otherwise stated.
Successful candidates must, by the start of the employment, have permission to work in the UK.