Due to open in 2018, V&A Museum of Design Dundee will be the first ever dedicated design museum for Scotland, an international centre for design innovation, a place of inspiration, fun and learning. Designed by world-renowned architect Kengo Kuma, the museum will be housed in a spectacular new building at the heart of a £1 billion transformation of Dundee’s waterfront.
£15,210 per annum
Monday to Friday 9.00am – 5:30pm (full time) 37.5 hours per week for 12 months
Ideal start: September 2015
V&A Dundee will host major exhibitions, celebrate our design heritage, inspire and promote contemporary talent, and encourage design innovation for the future. Unlike any other museum in Scotland, V&A Dundee will focus on the everyday impact of design – how it improves lives, solves problems and makes the world more beautiful and fun. V&A Dundee aims to educate, entertain and generate new creativity and innovation across Scotland.
V&A Dundee is being delivered by Design Dundee Ltd (DDL), a ground-breaking partnership between the V&A, the University of Dundee, Abertay University, Scottish Enterprise and Dundee City Council.
The Campaign to fund V&A Dundee is being delivered by Dundee Museums Foundation (DMF). In addition to Scottish Government and lottery support, the campaign aims to raise £15 million.
With over £9 million of the target already achieved, the Development team are now working on delivering the second phase of the campaign. This will involve extensive event organisation, developing the public campaign and ensuring the team is able to meet the expectations of its donors through a range of communication media. This internship will give invaluable assistance to both the museum team and its supporters. For the successful applicant, it will provide an exciting opportunity to gain experience in a competitive fundraising role, helping deliver one of the most exciting cultural projects in the UK today.
About the Internship:
We are committed to giving you the best experience possible as an intern within our organisation. You will have the chance to:
- Gain insight into the cultural fundraising environment.
- Work in a varied role as part of a small and busy fundraising team delivering the private campaign to fund one of the UK’s most exciting cultural projects.
- Gain valuable sector specific experience and knowledge such as events organisation and fundraising database administration.
- Assist with prospect research to support trust and foundation, major gift and corporate fundraising.
- Learn to use a fundraising CRM system
- Take part in meaningful projects which will help to build V&A Dundee’s reputation and fundraising revenue.
We are looking for a smart and enthusiastic person to take on the role of a Development Intern. You will be involved in many aspects of the charity’s development department, providing assistance to the Development Officer to ensure V&A Dundee’s supporters receive outstanding customer care.
The role will involve different aspects of campaign planning and implementation and supporter care including:
- Assisting with fundraising event organisation.
- Assisting with prospect research and implementation of prospect management functions.
- Assisting with database administration to support the organisation and ensure the database is an effective contact management resource.
- Supporting the Development Officer with data requirements arising from the implementation of a prospect pipeline report and a new database web interface.
- Contributing to donor stewardship by organising campaign communications
- Assisting with Gift Administration and thanking our supporters.
- Ad hoc duties to support the smooth operation of the development department.
The ideal graduate will be educated to degree level or equivalent with excellent spoken and written English. You will have a top line understanding of V&A Dundee and our aims. Excellent organisational skills with attention to detail and the ability to provide an excellent standard of customer service are essential.
You will be able to manage your time efficiently with a varied workload and work effectively as part of a team and on your own initiative. You will possess a drive to meet deadlines, working quickly and without mistakes, the ability to conduct research on the internet and an interest in developing a career in fundraising. Good communications skills and telephone manner and a high level of computer literacy, adept in all industry standard IT systems (e.g. Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Email, Internet etc.) are essential.
Although not essential, ideally you will have:
- Some experience of event organisation
- Some experience of database administration
- Interest in and knowledge of design
- An understanding of the Data Protection Act
To deliver services effectively, a degree of flexibility is needed and willingness to work non-traditional hours when required. DMF operates flexi-time and time off in lieu policies. The post-holder may be required to deliver tasks not specifically referred to above.
Closing date for applications is 21 August 2015.
Interviews will be held on Friday 28 August 2015.
Please submit a CV and brief covering letter through the Adopt an Intern online application form on our website. All applications must be submitted by 5pm on the closing date. State a. your availability and b. relevant information on your skills/experience pertaining to the job spec. We do not accept e-mail applications unless otherwise stated.