Location: Barrhead Foundry (frequent travel to locations throughout East Renfrewshire will be necessary)
£8.25 per hour
Full-time, for 3 months with a possible further 3 month extension
Ideal starting date: 25 April 2016
About the Organisation
Business Improvement Districts Scotland is the national organisation for BIDs in Scotland, providing support, advice and encouragement to business groups, communities and local authorities considering and developing a business improvement district.
As an Intern you will work closely with two highly ambitious East Renfrewshire Business Improvement Districts: I Love Clarkston (www.iloveclarkston.com) and Giffnock Village (www.giffnockvillage.com). Comprising of over 200 businesses together, both BIDs represent a strong collective voice in the area, supporting trade and commerce, as well as heavily contributing to the local community life by organising large events and co-ordinating the visual improvements made to the area.
The intern will get hands on project management experience by developing, delivering and marketing public events and other local marketing initiatives. The successful candidate must work to ensure that all local stakeholders such as independent and national businesses, schools, home workers, art clubs and other community groups are involved and engaged with the events. This internship provides an opportunity to liaise on a daily basis between the private, public and third sector.
Your key tasks will include:
• Events development, delivery and marketing – targeting of carefully selected market segments (as opposed to targeting the whole local community), liaising with the business community and other stakeholders.
• Contribute to brand promotion and facilitate community engagement.
• Delivery and marketing of public events in two BID areas: I Love Clarkston and Giffnock Village.
• Marketing and PR for two Business Improvement Districts: I Love Clarkston and Giffnock Village. This will include managing social media profiles and business led, community orientated website.
• Marketing tailored to suit strategic ambitions of the BID (promotion of customer loyalty and encouraging social engagement to generate footfall) and to promote advantages of having a BID in a challenging environment where both: private and public stakeholders are heavily involved.
• Research and delivery of the first community and business hub/pop up shop in Clarkston BID.
• Writing BIDs newsletters and correspondence with BID members.
• Attending BID Management Committees meetings and taking minutes.
• Administrative tasks: filing, dispatching correspondence, telephone calls, help with databases maintenance.
• BID websites maintenance (including negotiations and liaison with digital media companies).
• Providing assistance with any other BID issues as necessary.
• Identify relevant funding and sponsorship opportunities.
The ideal intern will be educated to degree level, preferably a 2.1 or above in Events Management, Business Studies, or Management and Marketing (Events Management focus would be a plus), or any other relevant degree.
You should also be able to demonstrate the following skills:
• Ability to undertake research, summarise findings and prepare written briefing material
• Excellent data analysis and interpretation skills
• Ability to understand and interrogate data sets
• Computer literate with excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office
• Theoretical understanding of performance management and measurement methods
• Ability to research good practice and make recommendations for improvement
• Good interpersonal skills with ability to work on own initiative as well as part of a team
• Good organisational skills
Although not essential, a drivers license and access to own transport would be beneficial.
Closing date for applications is 1 April 2016, 12 noon.
Interviews will take place on 15 April 2016.
Please submit a CV and brief covering letter through the Adopt an Intern online application form on our website. All applications must be submitted by noon on the closing date. State a. your availability and b. relevant information on your skills/experience pertaining to the job spec. We do NOT accept e-mail applications unless otherwise stated.
Please confirm your eligibility to work in the UK.