Abellio are one of Europe’s largest bus and rail operators. From 1 April 2015, Abellio took over the operation of Scotland’s Railway Network Franchise ‘ScotRail’. Worth up to £6billion this is the single biggest contract let by the Scottish Government.
Location: Glasgow, with Scotland-wide travel
£7.85 per hour (rising to £8.05 from October 2015)
Full-time, minimum 6 months
The ScotRail Franchise will see a number of new initiatives and investments launched, which will make train travel more attractive for people and visitors throughout Scotland.
An exciting new part of the franchise has been the creation of a new economic development function, which will seek to maximise the economic growth, regeneration and employment opportunities that can be achieved from investment in our railway network and infrastructure.
The successful intern will work directly to the new Head of Economic Development (HoED), and with other staff within the ScotRail Team, to assist them in the delivery of the key outputs detailed within the franchise bid document, that relate to sustainable economic growth, including:
• The establishment and operation of the Borders Rail Sustainable Development programme.
• The development and supporting of employment and regeneration opportunities in priority locations including working with developers/land-owners, local authorities, Scottish Enterprise and other local agencies.
• The development of local partnerships to identify and implement specific transport initiatives that support and encourage investment.
There will be the potential to accompany the HoED, and other team members, during site visits and other meetings throughout Scotland.
The Intern will be expected to work in a way that acknowledges Abellio’s Core Values and Behaviours for all staff:
• Genuine – be honest and do what you say you’ll do.
• Professional – be polite and professional at all times.
• Pro-active – be open-minded, creative and challenge the status-quo.
• Inclusive – seek to understand and acknowledge different stakeholders and customers.
A benefit that comes with this role is free and reduced rail travel.
The ideal candidate will be a current student or recent graduate with a background in Planning, Economics, Geography or related discipline. Ideally the course should be RTPI Accredited.
You will be an enthusiastic, organised and proactive individual with attention to detail in the work that you do.
Proficiency in word-processing, spreadsheet and presentation software is desirable. The intern will also have a high standard of written and spoken English alongside technical writing skills. Some knowledge/interest in economic development and/or transport planning would be beneficial and there would be a strong opportunity to develop an understanding of both areas as part of this role.
Closing date for applications is 28 May 2015, 5pm
Interviews take place on 11 or 12 June 2015
Please submit a CV and brief covering letter through the Adopt an Intern online application form on our website. All applications must be submitted by 5pm on the closing date. State a. your availability for interview, and to commence the role and b. relevant information on your skills/experience pertaining to the job spec. We do NOT accept e-mail applications unless otherwise stated.