Location: Edinburgh or Glasgow
£21,000 per annum (based on £10 per hour)
Full-time, flexible and accessible working available
Closing date: 12 September 2019, 12 noon
This job advert covers 4 potential roles within a rapidly growing startup. If you are a junior developer or data analyst looking to join an experienced and supportive team, this is your chance.
- The AAI team
About the Company
"Vistalworks is creating a new category of personal cybersecurity protection that will reduce consumers' exposure to financial fraud, criminal sellers and illicit trade, whenever and wherever they shop online.
Using data analytics technology, our algorithms score the risk of sellers and their product listings, and warns consumers of potential harm before they buy online.
Vistalworks is the new data technology startup from three well-known, highly experienced entrepreneurs. CEO Vicky Brock, was named Scotland’s Most Inspiring Business Person at the Entrepreneurial Scotland Awards, won Innovator of the Year at the Everywoman in Technology Awards and is a Women’s Enterprise Scotland Ambassador. COO Alan Murray has built multiple multi-million-pound businesses by harnessing the power of diverse datasets and translating those into actionable information for end users. Chief Product Officer, Stephen Budd, is responsible for creating and delivering innovative and award-winning data-driven products to market, ranging from retail analytics to medtech and cybersecurity.
The co-founders have come together to solve a huge social problem - the harm caused to citizens, communities, services and businesses by dangerous, fake and illicitly traded goods. We aim to help online shoppers understand if they are at risk of harm before they buy. Our software will always be free to consumers - our target paying customers are enforcement agencies, banks, payment providers and e-commerce marketplaces.
You’ll be coming in to the company right at the beginning of our process of marketing our innovation and building on major new contract wins. You’ll be reporting to and working with very experienced founders who’ve lead teams and businesses before. This means you can benefit from the upsides of startup life - such as a fast pace of work, creativity, lots of challenges and problem solving and plenty of opportunities to make a direct impact - but you’ll also be supported in your personal development in a professional management environment that most startups lack."
More information about the vision and values of Vistalworks can be found HERE.
Our software has significant scraper scripting and API interrogation components, and we are recruiting for several entry level developer roles in this area, along with a database management and an algorithm refinement role.
Because there is considerable overlap between the four roles, and the opportunity to specialise or develop into a specialism, we are actively encouraging applications from a broad range of candidates, with curiosity, aptitude and demonstrable understanding of the processes of software development and deployment within a structured environment. This will include knowledge of agile development as well as common tools such as Github. If you have an interest or experience in a particular area, please do let us know.
What Vistalworks can offer you:
• We have an active personal development and mentoring programme, with one working day each month set aside for working on with your mentor or on your tailored personal learning plan.
• Active personal, professional and network development support from the talented founding team
• Flexibility, visibility and empowerment to build your confidence and make your own impact and reputation (we always give credit where it’s due)
• The company is less than 6 months old, so you’re joining us at the start of an exciting adventure with opportunities for real growth
• A collaborative, trusting and open work environment
• We will provide additional training support should you choose to acquire new skills related to our core technologies.
• You’ll be reporting to and working with very experienced founders who’ve lead teams and businesses before. This means you can benefit from the upsides of startup life but in a professionally managed environment.
Essential requirements for all roles:
• Curiosity and problem solving
• Enjoy collaboration
• Able to clearly and accurately communicate the various features and benefits of our data-technology and software to very different, but non-technical audiences.
• Willingness and to be directed and to learn from an experienced data startup leadership team
• Familiarity with Python 3.7, preferably within a Linux environment
• Familiarity with API interrogation for mass data extracts
• Familiarity with RDBs (Postgres 11+) for example to facilitate our scoring process, or in order to facilitate the deployment of new marketplace data within the existing infrastructure
• Ability to test in a SQL environment (Postgres), including the ability to roll back when necessary as well as the ability to search query logs in the event of exception handling.
• Demonstrable understanding of the processes of software development and deployment within a structured environment. This will include knowledge of agile development as well as common tools such as Github.
• Ability to clearly document the steps followed in an algorithm, in order that non-technical members of the team can understand and repeat those steps
Desirable requirements for all roles:
The following are used within the Vistalworks environment. Knowledge of these will be essential but we assume the successful applicant will gain knowledge of these before starting if they do not yet have this.
• The Flask web framework, to handle API requests
• The requests HTTP client, to make requests to third party marketplaces
• The Beautiful Soup HTML parsing library, to facilitate scraping marketplace listings
• jsonschema, a JSON validator - used to validate incoming API requests
Applicants must be able to work in the UK. Due to there being an aspect of direct supervision involved, the person must be available to be based in either Glasgow or Edinburgh where the founders are located.
Requirements for the database management role only:
As experience in the above areas (particularly the algorithm documentation and API aspects) will be required in some roles more than others, we would encourage applicants more interest in database management to still apply if they have the following skills:
• Knowledge of Postgres 11+ Server environment
• Ability to update, grow and configure Postgres tables and views within staging and production environments to accommodate the changing needs of the business
• Ability to control, maintain and run standard procedures such as cron jobs for backups
• Familiarity with standard security requirements for database access
• Familiarity with server deployment within a cloud environment (currently Digital Ocean)
• Basic ability to test in a SQL environment (Postgres), including the ability to roll back when necessary as well as the ability to search query logs in the event of exception handling
• Knowledge prior to starting of the Jinja2 templating engine, to dynamically render client facing aspects
• Knowledge prior to starting of Psycopg2, a PostgreSQL client library
If you have any questions about this role or the organisation please contact email@example.com. Please do not under any circumstances contact the employer directly as doing so may negatively impact your employment opportunity.
Closing date for applications is 12 September 2019, 12 noon.
Please submit a CV and tailored Cover Letter through the Adopt An Intern online application form by clicking “Apply” on our website. Examples of what we like to see in a cover letter can be found HERE.
All applications must be submitted by 12 noon on the closing date. In your Cover Letter, please state: A) your availability and B) relevant information on your skills/experience pertaining to the job specifications.
We do NOT accept email applications unless otherwise stated.
Successful candidates must, by the start of the employment, have permission to work in the UK.APPLY