Location: East Renfrewshire – across different council sites
£8.75 per hour
Full-time for 12 months
Closing date: 3 April 2019, 12 noon
About the Company
This is an exciting opportunity to join East Renfrewshire Council on an innovative and award-winning cross departmental programme.
The Family Firm programme has been running since March 2016 at East Renfrewshire Council. It provides tailored employability support to care experienced young people and care leavers (16-25 year olds) helping them reach their potential through employment, education and further training opportunities. Long term outcomes for care experienced young people tend to be below their peers nationally and they face many more barriers accessing education and employment. The programme aims to change this through a holistic, relationship-based approach to support through one to one work and group work as well as bringing together a range of Corporate Parents to offer work placements and training.
East Renfrewshire Council is seeking to recruit a graduate intern for their Family Firm programme working with young care experienced people between the ages of 16 and 25 years old within the area. In this role you will be assisting the day-to-day running of the Family Firm programme by supporting care experienced young people to access local training and employment opportunities.
This is a cross-departmental role working within two different teams and therefore provides an exciting opportunity for a graduate to gain experience across employability and social work as well as other stakeholders. Ideally the candidate will have a background in working with the client group or young people facing similar barriers. On the job training will be provided.
• To assist the Family Firm Coordinator to support care experienced young people to access employment, further training or education via the CPP Employability Pipeline
• To work closely with Family Firm clients to support them to access relevant support services
• To support Family Firm clients on work placements, taster days and other work experience opportunities
• To assist with the day to day running of the programme including working closely with clients on an individual basis to overcome barriers to employment
• To help run a regular job club
• To assist Family Firm clients with job applications, CV writing and interview skills
• To support Family Firm clients to college open days, interviews and jobs fairs
• To provide regular updates to the Youth Intensive Support Services Team, Work East Ren and other key stakeholders
• To maintain accurate records including client databases and spreadsheets
• To update Family Firm Facebook page with vacancies and other work-related activities
• To liaise with Communications team to schedule frequent posts on East Renfrewshire social media platforms
• To undertake evaluations of the programme with young people and practitioners
• To support Family Firm clients with various SQA awards: Community Achievement Award/Youth Achievement Award
• To attend and contribute to team meetings (cross-departmental)
• To undertake any training relevant to the post
The ideal candidate will be educated to degree level, with a background in Social Work, Youth Work, Public Policy or another relevant discipline. Work experience, through work placements or volunteering, within an employability or other related sectors would be beneficial. You should also be able to demonstrate the following key skills:
• Excellent communicator
• Ability to organise own work effectively, prioritise competing workloads and work to tight timescales
• Self-motivated and able to demonstrate initiative
• Experience working with vulnerable young people in a supportive capacity
• Competent using IT, including experience of using Microsoft Office (particularly Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
• Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work with a diverse range of people in a team environment
• Keen interest in social work, community or youth work
• Ability to work between different sites as it is an agile role
Some of the work involved may mean that the successful candidate is required to become a member of The Protecting Vulnerable Groups Scheme (PVG Scheme). This would be organised with the council.
If you have any questions about this role or the organisation please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not under any circumstances contact the employer directly as doing so may negatively impact your employment opportunity.
Closing date for applications is 3 April 2019, 12 noon.
Please submit a CV and covering letter through the Adopt An Intern online application form on our website. All applications must be submitted by 12 noon on the closing date. State A) your availability and B) relevant information on your skills/experience pertaining to the job specifications. We do NOT accept email applications unless otherwise stated.
Please confirm your eligibility to work in the UK.
Please note you will also need to complete a My Jobs Scotland application as part of East Renfrewshire Council’s application process. Further details will be provided.