£24,000 - £28,000 (Depending on Experience)
Closing date: 21 October 2019
About the Company
"FreeAgent is one of the UK's most popular small business finance apps with over 90,000 customers. We help small businesses sort out the mess and the stress of managing their business finances. We are loved and adored by customers. We have an NPS of 70 (which is considered "exceptional") and are rated ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ on Trustpilot.
It's an exciting time in the accounting and banking space. We're seeing a revolution in the FinTech industry, and new government initiatives such as Making Tax Digital and Open Banking are opening up new features and products for customers.
The technology in this space is changing rapidly and at FreeAgent we're working on the cutting edge. We're focused on providing the best possible user experience for our growing customer base."
We have built a powerful CI/CD platform which can run 32,000 automated tests in less than five minutes which allows us to remain productive at scale, and allows all engineers, regardless of level, to deploy code to production multiple times a day.
We have an amazing office in central Edinburgh (one of the great cities of the world), and our work environment is light and bright with inspiring spaces and quiet places. If you're based in the office you'll enjoy catered lunches every Friday, weekly yoga and many other perks and treats.
More information about life in the FreeAgent Engineering team can be found HERE.
Here's what you can expect day-to-day as a Junior Support Engineer at FreeAgent:
• You’ll gain a broad experience of the FreeAgent application allowing you to discover exactly what’s happening behind the scenes when things haven’t gone as planned.
• You’ll use your software engineering skills to track-down, report and prioritise bug fixes with our development team, and even write your own code to provide those much-needed tools, fix those pesky glitches and speed-up any repetitive tasks for you and your team.
• You’ll work closely with our first-line support team, other engineering teams, third-party service providers and directly with our customers, to bring every situation under control in a polite and super-helpful manner.
• You'll help develop the technical knowledge of our first-line support team with ongoing training for the complex parts of our system.
FreeAgent wants people to be productive, to have career opportunities, to be focused on meaningful work and to have an excellent work/life balance. They work smarter, not harder, which is why the team sticks to a 35-hour working week and still Get Things Done.
The ideal candidate will have:
• Experience developing web applications (Ruby, Python, Java etc)
• You’re a quick learner, happy to develop your skills and understanding “on the job”
• Confidence working in a Unix environment
• Capable of explaining technical concepts to people of various technical literacy
• Enthusiasm for working directly with customers
• An unbreakable positive attitude - you embrace all challenges with a smile.
• Excellent written and verbal communication
This is a fantastic opportunity for a newly qualified applicant looking to move into the software industry. Applicants with more experience are of course welcomed! If the idea of cutting code and helping customers excites you, please do get in touch!
FreeAgent cares about building an inclusive and diverse team, and welcome applications from people with varied backgrounds and perspectives, to ensure that the people who build FreeAgent are reflecting their diverse customer base and bringing with them a range of ideas and experiences. What unites the team is an openness to suggestions, and a drive to solve problems in the best way possible.
FreeAgent is offering an annual salary of £24,000 - £28,000 per annum depending on experience, plus they provide a comprehensive package of employee benefits, which have been carefully selected to protect you, to promote healthy lifestyles, and to give you peace of mind.
We encourage continual self-development and hold bi-annual company hack days. We work smarter, not harder, and try to have fun doing it! We want people to feel nurtured and at ease to be themselves, so they feel empowered and engaged to do their best work. We value our diverse team, and the variety of experiences and backgrounds only make us stronger.
If you have any questions about this role or the organisation please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not under any circumstances contact the employer directly as doing so may negatively impact your employment opportunity.
FreeAgent's selection process involves a phone interview, a practical exercise and a visit to their beautiful Edinburgh office so you can meet the team. The company works hard to make the process as straightforward, transparent and enjoyable as possible.
Please submit a CV and tailored Cover Letter through the Adopt an Intern online application form on our website. Examples of what we expect in an application can be found HERE. All applications must be submitted by 12 noon on the closing date.
State A) your availability and B) relevant experience and demonstrate how your skills match the specific requirements of the job description.
We do NOT accept email applications unless otherwise stated.
Successful candidates must, by the start of the employment, have permission to work in the UK.APPLY