Location: Falkland, Fife
£8.75 per hour
Part-Time for 12 weeks
Start date: Immediate
Closing date: 12 April 2018, 12 noon
About the Company
The Falkland Estate is at the heart of Fife, some 35 miles north of Edinburgh. Its task is ensuring the successful running of the estate is the Falkland Estate Trust, which includes an organic farm, historic landscapes, forestry, and property. The estate boasts a long history with its earliest settlements dating to the Iron Age and having also been a favourite hunting ground of the Stuart monarchs. Nowadays, it is a place of thoughtful stewardship of land, nature, and community.
Encompassing 1500 hectares of land including forest, arable, grazing grounds, and hills the estate holds numerous open events throughout the year. The estate and its employees, volunteers, and apprentices all share our values of strong sense of good stewardship and looking after our place and our people. Our visitor information hub, The Stables, is open daily 10am-4pm and there is free public access to the estate lands available every day.
As Operations and Business Development Intern, you will be working directly with the Director of Operations and Business Development in ensuring day-to-day estate management and preparing a five-year business plan. You will also be helping ensure a smooth transition from a private trust into a successful community-led charity.
In this role your tasks will include, but are not exclusive, to:
• Working directly underneath the Director of Operations and Business Development
• General estate business management tasks and solving operational issues
• Helping increase the social media presence of the estate
• Supporting the Director in establishing a successful five-year plan for the estate
• Working with other team members, other employees and volunteers, on the estate
• Producing material for the wider promotion of the estate, including above-mentioned web and social media presence
This role is ideal for a graduate in business or marketing, or with demonstrable skills and interests. You should have an interest in developing the estate as a business and learning about the various aspects of estate management. This opportunity would also be valuable for someone looking to develop a portfolio in business development and marketing.
The following skills are desirable:
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
• Ability to work as part of a team working towards the maintenance of the estate
• Understanding of our values of strong stewardship
• A positive can-do attitude to all situations; both successes and challenges that may come across in running the estate
• Excellent IT skills, any practical experience of online social media and marketing would be a plus
• Ability to take ownership of your own work
Closing date for applications is 12 April 2018, noon.
Please submit a CV and covering letter through the Adopt An Intern online application form on our website. All applications must be submitted by 12 noon on the closing date. State A) your availability and B) relevant information on your skills/experience pertaining to the job specifications. We do NOT accept email applications unless otherwise stated.
Successful candidates must, by the start of the employment, have permission to work in the UK.