£25,000 - £50,000 per annum depending on qualifications/experiences
Full-time for 6 months with potential for a permanent position
Closing date: 21 June 2018, 12 noon
About the Company
Pacla Medical is an innovative healthcare company that is currently developing the next generation of a robotic physiotherapy device ('Robo-Physio') to improve the symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis (MS), chronic back pain, and other conditions. Robo-Physio is an automated spine massage machine with 24 robotic fingers designed to release back tension. Since the launch of its first version in December 2017, the Robo-Physio has received overwhelmingly encouraging feedback from customers across the UK.
Pacla Medical’s founder developed a specialist massage technique for Multiple Sclerosis (MS), with patients travelling from as far as France to see him. Frustrated by his inability to see everyone who needed his help, he used his engineering skills (acquired as a troubleshooter for Korea’s Hyundai Motor) to build Robo-Physio – a machine that replicates his manual physiotherapy.
The company is currently backed by Venture Capital and plans to raise additional investment to further develop the product and advance into global markets.
For more information on the company, their vision and their values visit: robophysio.com.
Pacla Medical now want to build on their success with the help of an enthusiastic, dynamic and passionate product design engineer. Your challenge is to use your engineering capabilities to help our founder ramp volumes without sacrificing quality, and your design skills to make further improvements to the technology.
In addition to your key responsibilities in product design, you will be supporting business activities such as:
• Maintaining office systems, data management and filing
• Producing documents and presentations. Competence in MS Office and Adobe CC essential
• Liaising with customers, suppliers and other staff by phone, email or in person
• Taking phone calls, enquiries and requests, and handling them when appropriate
• Meeting and greeting visitors
• Dealing with incoming and outgoing email and post
The role is initially for a 6 month probationary period with the potential to become permanent. If an individual proves to be valuable for the company, a stock option could be offered one year after employment.
You will fit in if you like working in a tight, driven and energetic team, are willing to step into the many roles required by a young company, and view your work as part of a wider commitment to treating other people with integrity and care.
You should have an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in Product Design Engineering or similar. The ideal candidate would also have around 3 years’ experience.
The following skills and experience are relevant to this role:
• Physical prototyping experience and advanced 3D CAD skills. Knowledge of Solidworks is essential
• Procurement and BOM management ability, in partnership with external suppliers
• Ability to review output from design consultants and other engineering sub-contractors against company targets to ensure these are met
• Strong analytical/problem solving skills and the ability to translate customer requirements and feedback into design solutions
• Understanding of the design process and how it is applied
• Hands on mechanical and electrical assembly and fault diagnosis
• Product technical support both in the field and over email/phone
You should also have the following qualities:
• Ability to generate design ideas related to the product, improving therapeutic performance, appearance, weight and cost of production
• Knowledge of metals and metal parts suppliers
• Strong materials and manufacturing knowledge. In-depth understanding of when and why different processes and materials should be used.
• General understanding of electronic systems and diagrams. Experience in automation design is preferable but not essential
• Demonstrated ability in design for manufacture. Including interpretation of product standards documentation and producing user and technical manuals
Everyone at Pacla Medical is expected to:
• Have the start-up mindset
• Be hungry for knowledge and want to explore beyond boundaries
• Have good communication skills, verbal, visual and written
• Be energetic and possess a creative and innovative mindset
• Multi-task effortlessly and be aware of, and operate to deadlines
• Be flexible and comfortable working in a quickly changing environment
• Be commercially aware and able to integrate the financial and commercial aspects of the business into your work
Closing date for applications is 21 June 2018, 12 noon.
Please submit a CV and covering letter through the Adopt An Intern online application form on our website. All applications must be submitted by 12 noon on the closing date. State A) your availability and B) relevant information on your skills/experience pertaining to the job specifications. We do NOT accept email applications unless otherwise stated.
Successful candidates must, by the start of the employment, have permission to work in the UK.