£18,000 per annum
Full-time permanent (35 hours per week)
Closing date: 5 March 2018, 12 noon
About the Company
Trtl is a travel retail brand based in Glasgow that specialises in creating and exporting innovative travel products. The inspiration to start Trtl came after a motivational and passionate speech, given by Sir Tom Farmer of Kwik Fit speaking of the adventures he had when creating his company, to Michael Corrigan and David Kellock’s Mechanical Engineering class at the University of Strathclyde.
Trtl's first product on the market is the Trtl Pillow. It was created by Michael and David as a solution to a problem that most travellers experience: not being able to sleep on a flight. The Trtl Pillow is the travel pillow reinvented and is a comfortable way to help you sleep on the go. It can be used when travelling by car, plane, or train to help you sleep in a better ergonomic position than standard “u-shaped” travel pillows.
We are a small team with massive ambition and are looking to grow into a globally recognised brand, synonymous with travel, comfort, and innovation by expanding our team. At Trtl, we believe that if you sleep well, you create a foundation to experience more. Our goal in everything that we do is to help you be ready for whatever adventure life throws at you.
This is an exciting role where you will be working directly with the Senior Product Designer and his team, independently at times, to plan, project manage, and create great products for Trtl. Products are what our company creates and sells, so having an input in the project planning and creation of them will help shape the future of the entire company.
Your main tasks will be:
• To project and process plan with respect to the end-to-end product lifecycle. This includes conducting research and devising design proposals for our projects. This will include consideration of the financial budgets of the designed projects, to make sure they are cost-effective.
• To design and prototype design concepts independently and as part of our Product Design team
• To work directly with our Senior Product Designer to design, model, and prototype design concepts
• To arrange meetings and liaise with other departments, including marketing, in order to discuss and negotiate appropriate production processes, costs, and commercial issues
• To meet with the current Trtl team to establish design briefs, including the concept, performance and production criteria
• To work with the current Trtl team to get real feedback on concepts and prototypes from the team and external focus groups
• To have the ability to oversee the process/product(s) from concept to reality in terms of making it manufacture ready and if necessary, oversee the initial manufacturing runs
• To make samples or working models by hand
• To research competitor products and carry out competitor analysis
• To understand human factors and think from a customer point of view when interacting with any product to make it more and more intuitive for the customer to interact with
• To continually update job knowledge and to promote self-development in your role
• To continue to expand customer relationships and grow our brand
To project plan the creation of new products or improve existing ones and to use your end to end project planning understanding, as well as your understanding of technology, material, and manufacturing methods, to improve the design and usability of our products. We are looking for someone who can focus and report on key project milestones or deviations to the project plan, in order to communicate to the Technical Director and the Trtl leadership team.
You should also have the following skills:
• A strong understanding of all aspects of end to end planning via Microsoft Project or similar software program
• Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
• Excellent dexterity skills for creating working prototypes
• Excellent organisational skills and be able to work smart
• Proactive and enthusiastic
• Confident and friendly
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
• Experience is welcome, but not critical
You’ll fit in if…
• You have a cracking sense of humour and “can tolerate a bad joke or two!”
• You have a zest for life, seeking new opportunities you want to be
• You are not scared of the real challenge of the turbulent start-up life
Closing date for applications is 5 March 2018, 12 noon.
Please submit a CV and covering letter through the Adopt An Intern online application form on our website. All applications must be submitted by 12 noon on the closing date. State A) your availability and B) relevant information on your skills/experience pertaining to the job specifications. We do NOT accept email applications unless otherwise stated.
Successful candidates must, by the start of the employment, have permission to work in the UK.