Sir Robert McAlpine is a leading UK building and civil engineering company. Committed to the highest standards of quality, safety and sustainability, they deliver outstanding projects which meet and exceed clients’ expectations.
In the region of £24,000 plus car allowance. Full-time. Permanent role .
January 2015 start date
A family-owned company with a wealth of experience accumulated over more than 140 years, Sir Robert McAlpine recognise the importance of understanding clients’ core values and aspirations as being key to their success .
Recent high-profile projects in the Region include the M74 Completion and Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome in Glasgow, Marischal College and numerous prestigious offices in Aberdeen as well as Dundee Central Waterfront. They work with clients across all the major market sectors including nuclear, healthcare, education, retail, commercial and infrastructure.
As a key support function for projects across Scotland and the North East of England, you will be directly responsible to the Project Manager and the Regional Environmental Manager for the compliance and performance of environmental issues on various projects. This will include, but not be limited to:
• Responsibility for environmental planning and reporting
• Approval of non-conformance reports requiring environmental action, analysing and reporting on cause of non-compliance and any associated corrective actions
• Attending regular meetings with team members to include the review of environmental matters
• Conducting regular site inspections and internal audits to measure site environmental performance
• Liaison with staff and members of Project teams
• Review and updating of environmental management system procedures
• Prepare and carry out reviews of the Project Environmental Management Plan
• Preparation of Site Waste Management Plans
• Record and maintain all environmental matters in accordance with reporting procedures
• Promoting environmental awareness throughout the project
• Preparation of an Environmental Emergency Preparedness Plan and ensure its communication to site staff and operatives
• Assessing level of competence and any training necessary to ensure the capability of subcontractors and suppliers who may carry out environmental management functions
• Ensure all Project teams work in accordance with the Environmental Plan
• Liaison with government departments, local authorities, and other statutory authorities on environmental matters as required
• Ensure that detrimental impacts on site biodiversity are minimised and relevant ecological issues are communicated effectively to the workforce, including opportunities for the enhancement of biodiversity and ecological protection
• Carbon footprinting for each project to report towards Corporate CO2 emissions targets
The ideal candidate will be qualified in an environmental discipline, with a desire to work as part of an integrated sustainability team across Scotland and the North East of England if required.
As the role involves supporting numerous projects, a full UK driving license is an essential requirement for this role.
As a graduate entrant, you will enjoy the benefits of a 5-year structured development programme enhancing your skills and industry knowledge while part of the team.
Closing date for applications is 17 December 2014, 5pm.
Please submit a CV and brief covering letter through the Adopt an Intern online application form on our website. State a. your availability and b. How you meet the requirements of the job specification. We do NOT accept e-mail applications unless otherwise stated.