6 Traineeships to learn archive skills (51 weeks/£14,500 bursary)
Scottish Council on Archives, Opening Up Scotland’s Archives Traineeship Programme will provide the opportunity for 6 individuals from a range of backgrounds the opportunity to gain workplace learning over a 51-week period.
Trainees Opportunities are available in 8 archives across Scotland:
• Falkirk Community Trust - Digitisation Trainee
• Glasgow School of Art and Glasgow City Archives - Outreach and Community Engagement / International Links Project Trainee|
• Royal Commission on Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS) and Midlothian Council - Skills for the Future Trainee
• North Lanarkshire Archive - Outreach and Education Trainee
• University of Glasgow - Digital Preservation Trainee
• University of St Andrews - ‘Learning by Doing’ Archival Trainee
You must hold a minimum of Higher English (or equivalent) and Standard Grade Math (or equivalent). You must have good basic IT skills, good communication, people skills and problem solving abilities. Candidates should not already possess a postgraduate qualification in the area of heritage, archive or museum practice.
During the traineeship you will build a portfolio of skills, experience and training designed for you to take forward into future employment. At induction you will be provided with your training plan setting out the learning objectives and activities in more detail. The training programme is responsive to the individual trainee requirements and you will therefore have the opportunity to liaise with your trainer to establish an individual programme of support.
Through the University of Dundee you will also have the opportunity to undertake accredited distance learning modules. This may be used to count towards a future qualification in Archives or a related discipline.
Closing date for applications is Sunday 5 July, 5pm.
Each traineeship is unique. Candidates can apply for multiple traineeships but must submit a separate application for each role.
Interviews will take place at the hosting organisations between 17 and 31 July 2015.
In order to apply for a SCA traineeship you must be able to demonstrate that you have a right to work legally in the UK.