English-Speaking Union Scotland is part of an international charitable, membership organisation whose principal aim is to help young people realise their full potential through gaining the essential life skills of confidence in communications.
£18K pro rata. 21-35 hours per week for 9 months
Includes some evening/weekend work
Start date: 1 September 2015
In Scotland, the ESU’s activities include speech/debate training and the running of national competitions for school aged young people, together with CPD training for their teachers.
At ESU offices in central Edinburgh, the Gallery hosts a number of events and exhibitions and the classroom hosts a continuous programme of English language classes for non-native speakers. As a membership organisation, a number of social events are also held throughout the year, including public debates and evening talks, lunches with speakers and annual events such as a Burns Supper.
ESU Scotland is looking for a Speech and Debates Officer, who will assist with the organisation and management of all aspects of the speech and debates programmes for Schools and Universities.
This will include, but is not limited to:
• Support for the schools debates and public speaking competitions including setting motions, scheduling multiple national events throughout the school year, recruiting/organising judges and the administration of one-day ‘tabbed’ competitions.
• Delivering debates workshops and training for teachers and pupils (including designing and writing training materials)
• Recruit, train and support new and existing debates mentors for a recently established schools debates outreach project. This will include updating the manual for mentors, preparing workshop plans, delivering training workshops, and providing ongoing support.
• Provide timely and accurate reports for management, trustees and funders as required
• Assist with sponsorship and funding applications for speech and debate outreach and training programmes
• Run or assist at ESU events when required
The ideal candidate will be educated to degree level, from a range of degree disciplines. You will be a flexible, enthusiastic, experienced debater who: -
• aspires to the belief that all young people in schools throughout Scotland should have access to the benefits of Speech and Debate.
• sees debating as a valuable holistic educational process, for young people.
• realises that the primary role of the competitions is to act as a focal point for the broader aim of helping young people to learn/gain essential life skills.
• understands what it means to work in a small office and will pull his/her weight in keeping the ESU office and working areas welcoming and tidy
• will help willingly at ESU events that may be ‘out of hours’
• is very well organised and shows great attention to detail.
• has a clear understanding of the teaching process and how to design, maintain and deliver a course.
• possesses a friendly and helpful attitude to all who enquire about the gallery, EFL classes or any aspect of the work at ESU Scotland.
Closing date for applications is 20 July 2015, 5pm.
Interviews: 29 July 2015
Please submit a CV and brief covering letter through the Adopt an Intern online application form on our website. State a. your availability and b. How you meet the requirements of the job specification. We do NOT accept e-mail applications unless otherwise stated.